Monday, February 1, 2016

January Reads

In 2016 I'm going to try and keep track of all the books I read. Nothing fancy, no detailed book reviews, just a monthly list with some notes. It's more of a record for me, but I hope that you enjoy it, perhaps you'll find something you like.

My friend Sue is one of my regular book suppliers:
  • The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons--I think this was the first book that I read in 2016 and I really enjoyed it. It takes place in England during WW2. I'd recommend it.
  • The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain--I've never read anything by this author before but I will definitely be seeking out more of her books! An intriguing novel of suspense that kept me reading past my bedtime. Another one I'd recommend.
My co-worker Dianne is a regular supplier as well:
  • Accused by Lisa Scottoline--always enjoy her books and this was one that I hadn't read before
  • Gone Tomorrow by Lee Child-- Of course, I'd read this before since I'm a huge Lee Child's fan, but you can never go wrong with a Jack Reacher novel.
Joannie loaned me a big pile of Dan's books before she left for vacation at the end of December:
  • Live Bait by PJ Tracy--I almost didn't read this book because the blurb on the inside cover seemed scary but it was a really good police mystery. I will also seek out some more books from this author (actually a mother/daughter writing team).
  • The King's Deception by Steve Berry--I've read this book before but it is still enjoyable even a second or third time. A spy mystery based on Tudor history.
  • Shall We Tell the President by Jeffrey Archer--This is an oldie by Jeffrey Archer. I found it formulaic and not too interesting.
  • The Atlantis Code by Charles Brokaw-- Note, not THE Charles Brokaw, merely someone with the same name. This novel is definitely modeled after the DaVinci Code by Dan Brown, but the DaVinci Code is much better.
Found these at the Post Office book swap:
  • The Sugar House by Laura Lippman -- I didn't care for this book, I found it fairly unreadable, but skimmed through to read the ending. I passed it to Marion who liked it.
  • The Sins of the Mother by Danielle Steel--Danielle Steel is like a comic book for grown-ups. This one was fairly dreadful, but it was something to read.
Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger--Light reading chick lit from the author of The Devil Wears Prada. Everyone is skinny, has great clothes, and has lots of sex.
  • Laced by Carol Higgins Clark--Carol Higgins Clark is not as a good a writer as her mother, Mary Higgins Clark, but this wasn't bad, especially since it came from the free book swap.
From the book swap at All About Quilts:
  • The Sugar Camp Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini--I thought I had read all of Jennifer's quilt novels, but I had never read this one. If you're Jennifer Chiaverini fan, you'll enjoy it.
Must start my list for February. Already read a book today! Thanks Sue!

Thanks for visiting,

Pugs and kisses,
Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Wow how do you have time with working and everything. :D The King's Deception sounds good, I may like that one.

    ReplyDelete