Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Hometown Tourist




My husband Mike and I decided to play tourist, so one sunny Sunday afternoon, we drove into downtown Boston and walked the Freedom Trail. The Freedom Trail is a 2.5 mile long path, denoted by a painted red line, which winds through the city leading you to 16 different historical sites that help tell the story of the American Revolution. Our guide was dressed in full Colonial garb from his tri-corner hat to the buckles on his shoes. He even had a canteen (the Colonial equivalent to the omni present water bottle). 
I’ve been on the Freedom Trail before, since I grew up in Massachusetts and it seemed to be a popular destination for every elementary school field trip. However, I hadn’t been back in many years. By contrast, my husband grew up in Delaware, and although he’s lived here for 30 years, he had never taken the guided tour.

Our tour started in Boston Common and included stops at the Old South Meeting House, the Old State House, the Park Street Church and the Granary Burial Ground. We ended our tour in front of Faneuil Hall Marketplace, where a lively concert was taking place.
The Granary Burial Ground
Paul Revere's marker
Boston's Haymarket
My handsome husband on the Rose Kennedy Greenway
We walked to the North End, the home of Boston’s wonderful Italian culinary delights, for dinner. And it wouldn’t have been complete without a stop for dessert at Mike’s Pastry for cannoli.
Being a Hometown Tourist has its advantages. We were able to schedule our drive into the city around the Red Sox playing schedule and avoid unnecessary traffic, and we knew where to find an inexpensive parking garage. We had a recommendation for a great restaurant from one of our neighbors and we knew that it was worth waiting 20 minutes in line to get into Mike’s Pastry. We had a great time, and at the end of the day, we went home to sleep in our own bed. Our next destination?  The Adams National Historical Park in nearby Quincy, birthplace to two U.S. Presidents: John Adams and his son, John Quincy Adams.
We ate dinner here.
Have you ever visited Boston? What tourist attractions would you recommend in your local area? When is the last time that you played tourist?

2 comments:

  1. That is very cool. I played tourist kind of this weekend taking a charter trip of people around Detroit to clean up blighted neighborhoods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to Boston, flying into that airport several times. Scary. I love the city and history. I have a very fond memory of Boston from the time, a week after meeting my husband to be. He went to umass and I flew up, in a romantic tizzy, we walked around the market hand in hand, starry eyed. One of my all time fave pictures is us at an outdoor cafe there. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete